Monday, June 21, 2010

Welcome to the family!

My quest to find family began with a dare to try to join the Mayflower Society. I won’t bore you with the details of that adventure; suffice it to say that it was enough to make me fascinated to find out more about the family who came before me and give them their rightful place in history.

Today’s family researchers are so blessed to have technology that the genealogists of yesteryear couldn’t even dream of. With the touch of a keystroke, we’re able to access information that previously took years (if ever) to find. And yet there is so much out there that we haven’t found or accessed – information sitting in someone’s family Bible or photo album that’s disintegrating as the years pass – connections that exist with  people we don’t even know about! While I’m beating my head against a wall (and you know you’ve all done it!) to find information on Grandpa So-And-So, all of his information may be languishing in a scrapbook in somebody’s attic, long forgotten, begging to be discovered and included in the family legacy.

So I devised a plan. It may not be a very good one, but for now it’s all I’ve got. I created this blog to put my information out there and hope that new discoveries and family bounce back in return. Maybe I’ll be able to provide a yet-to-be-met cousin with information about their family and maybe they can help me sort through some of my family mysteries (because my head is starting to get a little bit sore!).

The idea has flaws. I know that. The information has flaws. I know that, too. When you look at the information contained herein, please remember that if it isn't sourced, it should be considered, but verified! I’ve done my best to validate my direct family lines with source information. Many of the collateral lines are dicey and for the most part incomplete. That’s where I need your help.

Working on my family’s history has introduced me to some of the nicest people I’ve ever met and because of them I’ve been able to add a wealth of information to our family tree. I’m of a mind that two (or 200) heads are better than one. And so many of us are looking for the same darned thing! If we could pool our energy, we’d be unstoppable.

So, I invite you to take a look to see if and where you fit into our gnarly tree. Take a gander at the info, cruise through the pictures and read the stories. Take what you will – I only ask that it be for your personal use and not for profit. In turn, I hope that you’ll consider sharing what YOU have on your branch of our family. I hope you’ll dig through the Bible and granny’s trunk and share your data, photos and stories. I’ll be happy to add them here so that other people researching these affiliated families won’t have to reinvent the wheel.

Please share this site with everyone in your family, your family researchers.  Shoot, share it with your genealogist friends who need a diversion from looking for their own family!  I need all the help I can get! 

Check back often. I’ll be posting new things as I come across them.

Geez, I hope this idea works!

Kathy